Monday, February 22, 2010

Ode to an invitation.....

@CS Department,Feb 22 '07

It was any other day.

Attending classes never excited me.Neither was it welcome to my other four friends in the department.We were birds of the same feather flocked together.Back bench was heaven and haven to us.So while a boring Embedded Systems class was going on, I was happily stuck to my novel.None of my friends were building Rome either.At times my stray mind would ruminate over the way life treated me.And at times I would seek his face amidst a class of seventy.

He was seated in the same row on the opposite side.He always sat there.Either taking notes or solving CAT quantitative problems.There was something about him which distracted me today.
The first impressions- trust me were horrible!

*********************************************************************************

@CET, 2004

The first time we met - "Ordinary guy".
The first time we talked over phone - "Flirt!"
The first time we went out on a picnic with friends - "Narcissist"

And all this while I never cared to take note of his name.Neither did he cared about me.I was any other girl in the department.

@College Canteen, Jan 2005

"XTASY" was in full swing.He notices me for the first time while I sip a cup of coffee with my "not so useless" friends.

@Bhubaneswar Railway Station, Feb 2005

The entire gang is on its way to my home town.And I am busy being the matchmaker for two of my closest friends.One casual moment and then I find this guy reading a novel in the upper berth.He's cute.

@CET Hostel, Feb 2005
Gosh!I have a huge crush on him.

Everything about him was great!I followed him everywhere - canteen, library, classes and the corridors.I used to go for an evening stroll just to catch a glimpse of him.I read novels to discuss with him.I boarded the 7:30 bus to meet him.I was absolutely crazy about him.

We started talking, laughing,quarrelling and then finally - we became friends.Good Friends!I loved being with him.I realized he was more than a crush for me.Coz I had begun discovering life with him.But he did not feel the same for me.And it would have cost me dearly had I dared tell him what I felt.

@CET Department,2006

I stopped talking to him.He was not at fault neither was I.He tried hard to talk to me but I was stubborn.He still did not give up neither did I.Eventually Taurus won over Scorpio.But there was one regret.He never understood why.He was too innocent to comprehend he was the question and he himself -the answer.It was simply meant for the best.

@XTASY, Jan 2007

I was numb.I had started questioning emotions.I had stopped being myself.But there he was - my dear friend with arms wide open beckoning me to embrace his friendship.He understood me perfectly.He never asked me a question. He simply stood by me.He could comprehend my silence.He asked for nothing.His presence had again begun to comfort me.

*********************************************************************************
The bell rang.

Three years had passed and I had learnt there was never a denouement.I smiled to myself and went ahead to live life the way it should be - with friends who mattered.

@Barista, Feb 22 '07

The Guy in question : " I forgot to tell you something.....I LOVE YOU".

PS: My closest friends for whom I was playing the matchmaker are in a relationship since FEB 14 '05 :)

5 comments:

GSM said...

Its Precious.....

................your's entirely said...

PHEW ! ...u have a trmendous memory I must say to remember all those dates.... I am sure there are many more eventful dates that haven't been fortunate enough to have a mention here...

Iris said...

@Amit - You are right...I will come up wid a few more dates in my next blog :)

Salvwi Prasad said...

Words say it all for some .... this one is the best of the lot..... precise and honest .... I loved it ....
and yes , thanks matchmaker ;)

Iris said...

@ Salvwi - "Pyaar hamein kis mod pe la aya " ;)