Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thoughts of the Past - XII


Rya got married to Rishabh. The newlywed couple had decided to spend one month in India before leaving for States where both of them had their jobs. Aditi and Anand were a part of the celebration. Aditi did not bring up Ryan's topic in front of Rya. They did not know if Ryan was invited to the marriage or even knew about it. Ryan was a frequent visitor to their house but they never discussed Rya. Occasionally when Ryan used to get drunk heavily, he cursed himself. He had not been involved with anyone since last winter. He had not been performing well at his job either. He had got two demotions in consecutive appraisals. He looked prematurely old. He had tried hard to forget Rya and had deleted every other memory of her which he had with him except for the one photo which featured both of them while at college. She looked immensely cute in that. In solitude, this lone photo was his best friend. Ryan would stare at it endlessly and then smile before putting it back in his wallet.

After marriage, Rya had very less time to spend with Aditi and Anand. She was busy with her new family and family members. She had met Aditi only at the wedding. She wanted to meet her before leaving India. Rishabh had a lot of work and so he was unable to accompany Rya to Aditi's place. Rya went alone. Aditi was happy to see her friend at her door. Rya looked beautiful. Her face had that enviable marital glow. Rya hugged her. She had two days with her to spend at Aditi’s. Rya always felt good with Aditi beside her.

So you are never going to come back to India?” – asked Aditi.

As of now, we do not have any such plans. May be in future, we will rethink.” – said Rya
.
What about Uncle and Auntie? How are they doing?”

They have become masters in that art Aditi. Nowadays I do not even think of it. If they are at peace with their lives, I do not have a problem with that. After all, we all have had compromised in our lives at some point of life or the other Aditi” – said Rya and stood up and went near the window. She stared at the sky.

Are you not happy with your marriage Rya?”

Were you not happy with Vishal?” – said Rya.

It was different Rya. I had nothing in my hands. I was a puppet in the hands of fate. I always tried doing my duty – as someone’s daughter, as someone’s love, as someone’s wife, as someone’s widow and finally when I was tired of living for others, I lived for myself.”

But what did you do to yourself? To Ryan? To Rishabh? “– continued Aditi.

You had to take your own decision Rya and why do u term it a compromise now?”

Rya looked back at Aditi and smiled.

You cannot afford to be morally wrong while taking a decision for three lives Aditi. I would have been glad had I had an ethically corrupt conscience. None of us were wrong in what we went through. If I look back at it now, the only two people who could have been wrong are definitely Ryan and me-for the time frames when we confessed our feelings for each other. But why would I punish Rishabh for this? I did not have the strength to do it Aditi. I can live an entire life without the person I still think of but I will not be able to survive a day without feeling guilty for the person who has loved me so sincerely.”

Aditi was silent. She knew even she would do it. She hugged Rya and cried.

“Rishabh is a nice guy Aditi. I do love him but I cannot escape Ryan’s memories and that is the reason why I do not want to come back to India right now. It has not been easy for me – ever” – said Rya and hugged Aditi tightly.

Rya spent her two days at Aditi’s nicely. The two friends did not discuss anything serious after that eventful conversation on the first day. Anand used to join them over lunches and dinners. Aditi surprised Rya with her plans of having a baby within a year. Rishabh had come to take Rya with him. They were flying back in a week’s time.

It was time to bid bye to her friends. Rya was doing her final packing before leaving Aditi’s. Anand had taken Rishabh with him to show the place around. Aditi was in the kitchen preparing tea. The door bell rang. Aditi asked Rya to open the door because she was busy. Rya opened the door. It was the milkman. She received the milk pack and was about to close the door when she noticed that familiar face at the gate. It took her a moment to realize that it was Ryan. He looked awful. He stared at her without his eyes blinking even for a second. He stood perplexed. Rya could not take her eyes off him either. A million of emotions surged past her mind. Neither of them walked towards each other or away from each other. It seemed they had a lot to say to each other but they did not speak to each other. The distance between them was so less yet they were so far. Ryan took out his phone and captured that final memory of Rya in his camera lens forever. He smiled at Rya and left. Rya stood still. She knew she was not going to see Ryan for an indefinite period of time. That chapter of her life had been closed.

(To be Continued...)  

10 comments:

Senor Ramirez said...

Where is risabh's funny friend ?

GSM said...

A much needed part after the last part.. It was a pleasant surprise..loved the part where Ryan takes a last picture of Rya. Poor Ryan.

Senor Ramirez said...

@GSM : poor Ryan !!! what about poor Risabh ? Seems like he got the worst part of the deal for no fault of his.

Senor Ramirez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Senor Ramirez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Senor Ramirez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mona said...

Hey..

Is this end of story? I have searched remaining post for story but i couldn't find it. I would like to know what happened then. It was such interesting story. I just loved it. Please help me to find next story and if you've not written please write next part. Please..

Mona said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Iris said...

Hi Mona,

Thank you for your comment! I will write the next part of the story soon.

Mona said...

HI.

Oh very sad for me. I was so much curios for next part. Its been 4 year of this story. Please post soon with end.:) when I was reading this story, I could imagine that scene. All character are so live.

Thanks for your response. :)