Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thoughts of the Past - VIII

She kept looking at the card. She tried not to believe it but she had to. Anand was marrying in a week’s time and there was nothing which Aditi could think of to stop it. She did not understand why it bothered her. Anand did ask her to marry him but it was she who had denied it. She failed to understand herself. She did not know what to do. She knew that she needed to talk to someone. She did not know how to contact Rya. She felt helpless. She called up Ryan.

“Hello. Ryan here.”

“Hi…” – said Aditi in a choked manner.

“Aditi? … Aditi...is it you?”

“Ryan, can u come over to my place?”

“Yeah. Sure.”

***********************************************************************

Aditi opened the door and Ryan found her in tears.

“What’s the matter?”

“Anand is getting married.”

“Who told you?”

“This.”- said Aditi and showed the card.

“You opened my bag?” – cried Ryan.

“And you did not tell me about it?”

“Aditi. I had come to tell you about it. But Rya took my mind off it. I am so sorry.”

“He is getting married!!I can’t believe it.” – exclaimed Aditi.

“But why does it bother you? You did not want to marry him and if he wants to start his life anew, what’s wrong in it?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t know. I mean, it should not have bothered me at all but I don’t know why it makes me sad. Somewhere deep down my heart, I believed that Anand still loved me. To tell you the truth, I still haven’t forgotten him Ryan.”

“Why did you turn him down for marriage?

“I wanted him to ask me face to face. I did not want to marry someone who proposed me through a letter. I was adamant on it. I never told him a NO. I just did not reply to him. Having known me all these years, I thought he would understand me. It was my arrogance speaking but at the end of it, I lost him. I lost him Ryan...not just once but twice.” – sobbed Aditi.

“I think you should talk to him.”

“About what? What should I tell him Ryan? … That even after being married to someone else, having loved someone else and having been a widow of someone else, I still haven’t forgotten him?? Or should I tell him that his thoughts still comfort me?? Or should I tell him that I still like him the way I did 8 years before?? My heart may play truant but not my mind Ryan. I don’t want to complicate things now. He never came in between Vishal and me. I don’t want to ruin his life. I just can’t do it.”-  cried Aditi.

“Aditi. Just answer this. Do you still love him- YES or NO?”

“If every question had an answer in Yes/No, we would have a few words in the dictionaries Ryan.”

“Yes or a NO?”

“Ryan…you don’t understand. It doesn’t even matter.”

“Yes or a NO?”

“Yes. I do.” – said Aditi.

Ryan smiled and took hold of Aditi’s hands and dragged her away with him towards the car parked outside. He drove off.

***********************************************************************

They stopped in front of a house. Ryan got down and opened the door for Aditi.

“Where are we Ryan? Why did you get me here?” – asked Aditi with eyes of suspicion.

“It’s Anand’s house Aditi. He bought it just to stay close to you. He never came in front of you because he could not see you this way. He has always perceived you as the bubbly girl he knew at college. It pained him to see you like this. He doesn’t stay here always but whenever he gets time, he comes here just to see you. He is still very much in love with you Aditi. Trust me.”

“And the card?” – asked Aditi with an askance.

“It was fabricated by me. I knew you loved him still. I just had to elicit it out of you. Aditi, don’t let your ego come in between you. You deserve a better life dear.”

Aditi looked at Ryan and hugged him.

***********************************************************************

Ryan rang the door bell.

Anand opened it. He was dumb founded.

Ryan smiled looking at Anand and left.

Aditi and Anand kept looking at each other and neither of them spoke.

Finally Anand said, “Come inside. It’s cold outside.”

Aditi went inside and Anand locked the door from behind. They sat in the living room. They still did not know what to say. They sat for almost half an hour without saying a word and then finally Aditi got up.

“I think I should leave.” – said Aditi.

“You still haven’t replied to me Aditi.” – asked Anand.

“Reply to what?”

“To my letter.” – said Anand.

“If I say that I never got it…” – said Aditi and looked towards Anand.

“Then I must say that you still haven’t changed at all and I like you being this way.” – cried Anand.

Anand continued “Aditi, will you marry me?”

“Is it out of sympathy?” – asked Aditi with a smirk.

“No. It is because it has always been you for me. I have never thought a life without you Aditi. I want to grow old with you Aditi.”

Aditi had tears in her eyes and she ran towards Anand and hugged him.

“I hope it’s not a dream Anand. I love you and I do want to marry you.”

They looked at each other and shared the most passionate kiss ever.

(To be continued...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nxt prt nxt prt nxt prt

Anonymous said...

nxt prt nxt prt nxt prt